What is Branding and why your business depends on getting it right
Don’t be fooled into thinking branding is only for the big and elite brands like Coca-Cola or Nike or the businesses with lots of money to splash around.
Your small business needs to be well aware of what branding is and how to brand effectively. In fact, I’d go as far as saying your business depends on it.
Creating a business that is truly reflective of you, one that stands out from the crowd and speaks straight to the heart of your tribe is key if you want to make waves in the cutthroat world of small business.
So, here we go. What is branding?
Firstly, it’s more than just a logo. It is the complete package of how your customer / potential customer feels about your business. Its what they feel when they look at your website, it’s their experience when they speak with you on the phone, it’s what they feel when they look at your e-book, it’s what they feel when they hear and see you on a Facebook live video.
Branding consists of many elements and not just the visual stuff (although that plays a strong part) so it’s super important to get clear on what all those elements are and then use them consistently in your messaging and your visuals. At the end of this article, you can get my free checklist which will tell you exactly what the elements are that constitute a strong brand, but for now, keep reading.
So when thinking of your brand, here are some key questions to explore, these should form part of your brand foundations:
- What are your business values
- What is your mission
- What do you want people to feel when dealing with your brand
- Who is your target audience
- What is your uniqueness
Often a brand strategy session can really help small business owners to gain clarity, once the foundations are in place and clarity is achieved, designing a killer brand identity is a much smoother ride.
4. Compelling reasons your business needs a strong brand
1. Recognition & Loyalty – Customers start to recognise your visuals and start to get to know you, they then start to trust and feel familiar with your company and brand and this, in turn, creates loyal customers.
2. Credibility – You could be a one-woman show, working from a desk in the corner of your bedroom (aka me) but having a strong professionally crafted visual identity makes you look the shit, makes you look like a successful leader in your field. Having a non-consistent, DIY looking visual identity screams to me, that you don’t take your business seriously and that perhaps you don’t really know what you are talking about.
3. Charge your worth – With a strong brand that builds recognition and credibility you can now start charging what you are worth, you can position yourself as the industry expert in your field and charge accordingly.
4. Branding boosts business confidence – Having a beautiful brand that you are proud to show off to the world gives you great confidence, it’s like getting your hair and makeup done and buying a new dress for your best friends wedding, you are guaranteed to feel amazing.
Hopefully, now i’ve given you more insight into what branding is and that it’s not just a pretty logo and perhaps you can understand why branding is one of the best investments you can make in your business.
I have created a great little checklist for you that will guide you on what elements you need, to build a strong brand for your business. This is not a mandatory list, just a guide. There is also a worksheet at the end for you to list the items you still need to work on for your business.
I would love to hear what you think about my list, what are you nailing? what still needs work?